Sunday, August 31, 2008

Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain

Do you ever listen to a song and say 'wait a minute' and then rewind the track and listen again and say...oh god, I never noticed that before.

You hear a lyric, maybe it's so grammatically incorrect it can't make sense, maybe it's just bad...

I started thinking about song lyrics that irritate me, here are a few of mine...

======================================================

"If I was a sculptor. But then again, no" - Elton John (Your Song)

We can't blame Elton John for this, Bernie Taupin is his lifelong partner in crime and lyricist...

Imagine if you applied this theory to other famous song lyrics...

"Tommy used to work on the docks, or, maybe he didn't..."

"I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker. I play my music in the sun, but then again, I play it at night too"

======================================================

"Lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains" - Shakira (Whenever, Wherever)

No comment.

======================================================

"There were plants, And birds, And rocks, And things" - America (Horse With No Name)

Evidently there were all of those things, but no further nouns in the desert...

Again, apply this theory to other song lyrics.

"I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm ...lots of other things"

======================================================

"I wish it was Sunday. That's my fun day. My I-don't-have-to-run day" - The Bangles (Manic Monday)

Some might say this is a clever lyric...I'm on the fence. I either think it's really cool, or I think it's a cop out. I'll leave it in my list none the less, you can decide.

======================================================

"Coast to coast; L.A. to Chicago" - Sade (Smooth Operator)

I would let this one slide, but the punctuation has qualified it as incorrect. If "Coast to coast" and "L.A to Chicago" were two separate thoughts, then fine... but the semi-colon confirms that she is suggesting LA and Chicago are on opposite 'coasts' - which is dumb.

======================================================

"I'm as serious as cancer, When I say Rhythm is a Dancer." -Snap (Rhythm is a Dancer)

An otherwise cool song is spoiled. I'm guessing that nothing is more serious than cancer.

Let's apply the same theory...

"I'm as serious as a puppy mangled in a farming accident, when I say Rhythm is a Dancer"

"I'm as serious as 9/11, when I say Rhythm is a Dancer"

======================================================

"The wild dogs cry out in the night, as they grow restless longing for some solitary company" - Toto (Africa)

It's going to take a lot to get me away from how stupid 'solitary company' is, as a lyric.

======================================================

"But if this ever-changing world in which we live in ..." - Paul McCartney (Live and Let Die)

1. Everything after the word 'World' is redundant.

2. Too many prepositions in one sentence makes me itch.

Let's apply Paul McCartney's theory to other song lyrics....

"My heart will go on and on (beating and loving you)"

"Imagine all possessions (that you own and keep in your house)"

"I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker (that tokes at midnight)"

No comments: